Monday, September 16, 2013

Making Life Decisions

As a child, we are often asked what we want to be when we grow up.  Often times, we go through different career choices depending on our interests at the time.  For me, I went between being a paleontologist, a biologist, a teacher, an anthropologist, a psychologist, and finally I ended up with the career as a social worker.  I started out with the BSW and after nine years I returned to school for an accelerated MSW program, receiving my MSW in a year, ten years after I graduated with my BSW.

Throughout the last sixteen years, I have gone between loving and hating my career choice.  Sometimes, even with in a weeks time or even a days time, I have different thoughts about my career choice and the path I'm on.  This summer, I turned forty.  Now, I know that forty is not old, but on some level, it is too old for certain career changes.  I am almost too old to get into the public school system retirement wise.  At least in Massachusetts, you have to work in the school system for 30 years, before you can collect your retirement.  This means, at this point I have to make the decision to work in the schools until I am seventy, and that is if I get a position now.  You can not, again in Massachusetts, collect both public school retirement and Social Security.

When I think about what it is in life that I am passionate about, I know that I am passionate about creating, natural/healthy foods, people, and a natural/healthy lifestyle.  I often try to think about how I can incorporate these passions into my next career move.  I believe that almost anything I decide to do, my social work background will benefit me.

If I really think about it, I think what would make me the happiest, is to be around like minded people.  I would love to be part of a group that focuses on health and wellness from a mind, body, and spirit mentality.  I would love to be able to teach some creative classes and talk about how creativity can benefit a person from all three of those aspects of life.  I would love to talk about nutrition and again how it impacts ones mind, body, and spirit.  I would love to be around others that teach similar ideals.  It would be wonderful to be part of a group that teaches meditation, yoga, art, nutrition, alternative therapies, and learn from them myself.

I'm not exactly sure how I can go about doing this and make money.  I think I will need to go back to school for some more education at some point.  The question is where, what,  and when. I am hoping that through this blog I will find my radiant light and in turn, I can help others find their radiant light.  I want to have a career where my passion is being used and where I want to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment